Our hosts were out of town this week so we haven't been doing much outside of working form home on our projects and just bouncing around the city doing our daily things. Sunday came along and a guest at our pension house, Lynn, was heading to church. I asked if she would mind if I tagged along and she was delighted to take me. On the way she warned me that the service would all be in Tagolog but she will tell me when to stand or kneel and so on. The church was very beautiful! While the service was in another language it was identical to the service at home, right down to collection, so I knew what was going on the whole time. I was just sat there amazed at the amount of people who attend church, it was full and there were people outside as well, and for some reason thought of my mother. I mean I think of her often but this was just a random moment for her to pop in my head... I thought about if she would be proud of my accomplishments or the things I have done in my life... just got all sentimental sitting there in the pew in the middle of a service that was completely foreign yet familiar to me. Then I thought of home and my incredibly awesome family and how fortunate I am to have been born in Canada with all of its privileges. The service ended and I came out of my daze and thanked Lynn for taking me and even joked with her that my Grandmother would be proud of me for going to church on Sunday. Anyways here is where my day gets strange I came back to the pension house and was about to enter my room when I noticed these two tacky photos outside of the shower room and toilet room. I have seen these photos everyday since I have been here but that day I really looked at them for some reason and I cracked up laughing. The two photos are these cheesy photos of grey vases with a pink strip on one of them... just think late 80's early 90's type pictures...anyways these two photos were in my Mom and I's apartment!! I was like well holy (pardon the pun) weird and Mom you had bad taste! hahaha well maybe stylish for the time... I mean the 90s did love big bangs and tacky vases right?
This week we are jetting off to see Nancy and Katie in Iloilo. They are the other two Canadian interns and I am delighted to see them! I can't wait to share our experiences and go on a few adventures! Should be awesome!!!!! Also tonight we are heading out with a previous intern Andrew and a teacher sir Jimmy for food, drinks and of course karaoke!!
| Immaculate Conception Church |
| A few of the English 101 students |
Now Jen, if you're going to mock the '90s, ya gotta get the colours right...it wasn't pink, it was dusty rose...LMAO
ReplyDeleteWhat an absolutely fabulous (yet scary) memory you have...I remember the pics too - there were a set of two with cheap plastic black frames...I wonder if I have them packed away somewhere??? Hmmm....
Along the same vein, surely something must stand out about the kitchen in memories??
And, finally, without a doubt, wherever she is she's beaming about you!!
Thanks Theresa! Um I only remember that most awesome 90's inspired kitchen set and that placemat that I stuck my gum on and Mom got so mad because my plate stuck to it! hahaha
ReplyDelete