Monday, November 8, 2010

A place called Smallville


After a very entertaining night of Karokee followed by a long day at school it was time for us to go to Iloilo to visit the other interns. Alicia and I got all packed up and headed off to begin our adventurous sojourn to meet the ladies. We had bought some food purchases for the girls, Tihanni paste for Nancy so she could make hummus and some delicious sweets for Katie. We were worried about getting  them through security but after I noticed somebody check a rooster and plants I knew we would have no problems. We flew to Manila first where we had a 2 hour stop over. We were walking around the airport when I noticed a 7 11, exhilarated at the thought of a slurpee I almost ran through the airport… oh the little things that entertain me J. However I had an even better find in that 711... a Coors light! Yes a familiar Canadian beer (well sort of) I didn’t even care that it is not that great of a beer. Anyways I thought it would be a great lil beverage to share with the other Canadians. Alicia and I made our purchase and left to go through security, thinking I managed to make it here with a bottle of tahini, a can of chic peas and numerous amount of cookies the beer should get through. I did not have checked luggage just my backpack. Turns out I wasn’t so lucky! Went through security and the guard was like what is this I explained it was a beer. She responded, “It looks like a beer” Thinking that’s what I just explained to her I nodded and smiled and said yes it is. She told me I could not take but may drink now if I wanted and pointed to a chair next her. So I said screw it I cannot waste a perfectly good bottle of beer and drank it down. There were two male security guards cracking up laughing at me and kept asking if I was ok! Haha it was a very hilarious moment.  The walked with Alicia and I for a little bit and pretended to be drunk…very professional J

We arrived in Iloilo to find Katie and Nancy waiting for us with a most excellent sign reading “How ya getting on me ol’ trout? Welcome to Iloilo!” I LOVED IT I DID!!! That night we just grabbed a bite to eat and went to bed early. The next night however, we decided to go to Smallville. Smallville is the Filipino version of Newfoundland’s George Street. Well what a time we had! We went to a bar where I somehow managed to get up on stage with the DJ and danced my bum off with the other interns and some random Filipinos who immediately became our friends when we arrived to the bar. There was one man there who miraculously had to give me his card and explain he was a seafarer who works on an American cruse line. He told me not to hate him cause I was Canadian and he worked for an American line! Haha I cracked up laughing and said I don’t hate Americans or you! I noticed the next day that his card said he was a heath store manager and not a seafarer…funny! After our showing off our dancing skills we left and went to a restaurant and ordered a plate of Nacho’s … epic fail! I would like to teach the ways of good nacho’s to the Philippines! I went to three restaurants and it was a fail on each attempt. Other than the nacho’s it was a great night filled Canadian girls taking over bars and making friends. Just epic!

No comments:

Post a Comment