Friday, October 1, 2010

Mesmerized and Oink!

I don't even know where to start! The past two days have been defined by busy, busy and exhausted! Yesterday Lyca took Alicia and I around to a few sites. We went to Bakers Hill, it was a strange open garden/restaurants/vendors with random characters placed around type place. Like a figure of bugs bunny and Marilyn Monroe in a garden... oh Asia! It was a nice walk up the hill with a spectacular view of all the different villages and the coastline too. On the walk back down we saw people that were staying at our guest house and they invited us along on their tour!! It worked out perfectly because Alicia wasn't feeling too well and was not exactly comfortable with walking all the way back. So we jumped on the tour and got to go to a cool weaving place and I got to use this neat machine that weaves table runners and place mats. It was hilarious, the man said I would starve because I was so slow at making my mat! That night I was checking my email and heard this crazy screech! I asked a man and he simply replied its a pig and walked away from me.... I didn't know what to think so just let it go...

Today was a early rise and off to the University to do our presentations! While leaving the guest house I heard the squelch again and turned around to see a little Filipino lady cornering a giant pig! I just hurried my ass up so I wouldn't see anything I didn't want too.... anyways I will finish this story in a bit. Back to the presentations...they went well but turns out we spoke a little fast and they didn't quite understand everything. Me talk fast?? who knew?? After lunch, we left with the dean of school to head to Binduyan, the villiage where they want us to make a "plan". We arrived to a rock shell (I think) aquaculture farm and were shown around then told "we want this to be a educational site and make ecotourism for the city... we want you to make, plan and create ecotourism for the town....oh and fix the eroding beach. I was like um.... in 5 and 1/2 months... ok I will try my best. haha The other intern Alicia and I are both a little worried and not sure where to begin.

On the way back home we stopped into JC's (a researcher at the university) family home. We drank buku juice (Coconut) right from the coconut! After I got to chop my coconut in half with a machete! I felt pretty bad ass! not going to lie! We also got to attend a council meeting which there was no english spoken except for two men who said single? ooo!! my son... My reaction remains yikes!!!

While returning home we saw the owner of the guest house and a ton of people just between the guest house and the house next door. Of course I waved and said hello and being the most friendly people I have ever met in the world they invited us in and it turns out it was an anniversary party! I accepted the offer then somebody handed me a plate and said help yourself! I walk into the kitchen and looked around after a few finger points and questions of whats this? what is that? I realize there is a lot of pork dished.... hrmmmm. Then I go outside to eat and I see a partial pig roasted! I sit down and I ask a girl who has worked in the states and whose English was awesome, "Forgive me, but was that pig alive this morning?" and I pointed to where I saw the lady and the pig. She cracked up laughing and then riddled something off in Tagalog (Filipino language)... then everyone was laughing and she replied yes! Well I must have looked horrified or something hahahaha I replied with "well at least its fresh?" To be honest it was absolutely delicious! However I won't be looking at Babe the same anymore! P.s Sorry to all me Veggie friends!

Im hoping to rest up this weekend, we are staying in Binduyin, the community we are making the "plan" and development for, on Monday night! I will need a sleeping bag and bug next apparently. I have a feeling it will be an adventure for sure! We will do our cooking over a fire and we have to squeeze into public transit to get there. I saw it today and the jeepney is so full people are on the roof of it!! Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment