Friday, October 8, 2010

On the radio!


The past few days have been interesting! Work is starting to take shape and I believe we can really do some good for the people of Binduyan! I also found out I get to teach a few Oceanography lectures at the university! YES!! I am a dork and I can't wait to teach. I also get to make a project brochure for a professor there that will be submitted to the government. I of course will make the English one and she will transfer it to Tagalog and hopefully it will be a hit!

So yesterday was both long and AWESOME! We arrived at work around 8:30 and were invited to the grand opening of the canteen. I enjoyed a couple of coffee's and some Puto (a mini rice bun type thing) Reminds me of a macaroon but less dense. After that we had a couple of meetings about the what the research group want in their brochure and of course you cannot do anything without food in this country so we ate some donuts and Boku (coconut) juice. We then were invited to be guests on a local radio show! I was like really? You want me? haha ok. It was so fun! I answered questions about Canada and of course climate change and environmental management. I even spoke what little Tagalog I know and everyone laughed and loved it! I just had a ball! Then it was back to the university. It is ecology week and the students had sporting events and a Mr. and Mrs. Ecology pageant. Of course being the Canadian interns we had to be judges... The students were great! They made costumes out of recycled parts and plants.. the crowd were going crazy!! We took photos together and handed out prizes to the winners! Excellent!

Palawan is a very great place... its like stepping back in time with the internet and cell phones! Religion (Catholic) is really present here and I have been asked many times what my domination is. I was at the check out at the grocery store the other day and the lady stopped serving me and said can you finish the prayer? I said what prayer... she was like the one over the P.A. I could barely hear it and said what is it ... I was like Oh its the lords prayer, yeah I can finish it... but apparently I was too late. I only had so many minutes to get the promo and finish the prayer. But then she did not finish ringing my items in until after the prayer. It was like an interlude of church in the middle of shopping. Thank goodness I had all 'non-sinful' purchases. No booze or condoms.... Can you imagine??? HAHAHA Now that would be a story!

I must be off to the market to pick up some vegetables. Alicia and I are going to attempt Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow... should be interesting. I saw sweet potatoes, cabbage and carrots, so I think it will be fun! Maybe I can find some wine around here too!

Happy Thanks-giving to you all!

1 comment: