Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hospitality that compares to NL !!

Well I am settling in nicely here! The jet lag is killing me!! Im wired all night and beat out all day! Im sure I will adjust I just refuse to nap. Yesterday I got to visit the university where I will be working and I also experienced some interesting ways of getting around Puerto Princesa.

I will start with work. So this title of Project Coordinator of Climate Change projects is extremely difficult to define as well as understand exactly what I will be doing while I am here. It turns out that I will be doing many presentations to students, working with a small community outside the city and developing an outreach program for them as well as adding to anenvironmental management plan that I believe Alicia, the other Canadian intern will be compiling. Sounds like ALOT for 6 months but Im sure it will all work out! We visited WPU (Western Philippines University) yesterday, the campus and people are just amazing. They really have very minimal compared to us in the western world but are so hardworking and happy its AMAZING. I feel VERY privileged to live the life I lead! There is no air con at the school with the exception of the computer room, I saw a women keeping records on a typewriter with a women next to her using a laptop... it was a bit strange to see for sure! They use a good ol' chalk board to teach and their text books are a little dated but still good learning tools! The faculty, staff and students were very excited to meet us interns and I was just as happy to meet them. One was eager for me to meet her son when she found out I was a single lady haha!

To get to the university we have to take a Multicab or a Jeepney! They are old U.S military jeeps that have two benches in the back similar to a songtow in Thailand but smaller. Besides sticking out like a sore thumb in the back of one they are pretty cool. We also can take a tricycle (a motorcycle with a side cart attached) around the city for pretty cheap. It was pretty funny bouncing around town in one of those!!

When we got home, I ran up to the roof toput some watermelon in the fridge and a lady Fe that I had met at the guesthouse was up there celebrating her friends birthday. She would not have it any other way but for myself and Alicia HAD to sit down with her and her friends and have some beverages. It was AWESOME! We had many laughs and shared many stories. Explaining curling is very difficult and made for a good chuckle! We gave her a little Thank you card and some Newfie Peanut Butter kisses for their kindness and we ended up having lunch with them today. They cooked Adobo (Pork, chicken in soy sauce and viniger/garlic), Rice and veggies. It was delicious!!! They insisted we meet up in Manila when we go there! I am looking forward to it!
Friday is presentation day and visiting the community! YIKES! Saturday, Alicia and I plan on doing some snorkeling and island hopping in Honda Bay. It will be nice to see more parts of Palawan!

Best,
Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment