I was on the local bus the other day on my way to Binduyan with Alicia and our interpreter JC when I heard this commercial on the radio. Regardless to say I did not understand the commercial only the words 'Love affair....with nature!' It was actually pretty funny and Alicia and I had a good chuckle at it. JC informed us its a mangrove planting day where tons of Filipinos come out to plant mangroves and there is also a mass wedding where many people get married by a priest and the mayor and then plant mangroves. It is held on... you guessed it... Valentines Day! Anyways to sum up our trip to Binduyan, it was VERY successful!! We collected all the data we need to finish up the document and presentation! It was great to see all the local people and once again visit the Samong farm.
So back to 'Love affair...with nature'. Our hosts, Maam Lyca and Ian invited us to join the student to go to the planting and of course Alicia and I had to see this with our own eyes!! Weddings and mangrove planting... all at the same time?? Only in the Philippines. Of course in Filipino fashion we were up before dark and started the commute to meet the students at 4:30am. Myself, Alicia and our friend from the guesthouse Lynn showed up at the meeting point (the Adventist Hostpital) on time at 5:00 am. Alicia and I debated leaving later due to previous experiences of standing on the road waiting however we thought that Murphy's law would be against us and decided to sticking to the western world and being on time. HAHAHA I don't know why we kid ourselves sometimes! Lyca, Ian and the students showed up past 5:30 (I was actually surprised 35 minutes waiting on the side of the road is not too bad in Filipino time). We all squeezed into a multi cab and headed to the planting site! I must say this was a very fun event. I grabbed two mangroves and headed out towards the sea and dug my two lil holes and planted my mangroves! However while planting I had a little 'Natural resource management' moment. I was wondering how much harm over good were we doing. I mean great there are thousands of mangroves being planted but we are trampling all over the sea grass and destroying habitat in the process. Hrmmm... something to think about.... Anyways after the planting it was time for the mass wedding. Over 70 Filipino couples came out to be married by the mayor and Priest! It was cute I must say, after they said I do it was their turn to plant a few mangroves, I called them love plants! haha Anyways because of the mass amount of people the government offered shuttle from the city proper to the site and back. Now what do you think when you think shuttle, I of course thought of some sort of bus, jeepney, or vans but of course I was mistaken. What better way to transport lots of people back and forth to the city than in the back of a dump truck!!!!! hahaha oh yes people I climbed up into the back of a dump truck and was transported back to the city. I must say it was hilarious and fun and a little dangerous at times but an experience none the less!
Anyways that is how I spent my Valentines day. I hope you all spent yours with your significant other or just enjoying yourself with loved ones!
Happy Valentines Day!
| Planting a mangrove tree :) |
| The mass wedding! |
| Transit home! YES! |
I love it! Sounds like a time! I would have to agree with you about massive mangroove planting though and how it may very well be doing more harm than good.. but! I don't wanna be a negative nancy here! haha, take care Jen, loves yer blog!
ReplyDelete