Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Honeymoons over or is it?

So during our pre-departure training at the university we were warned of culture shock and the stages you will go through living abroad in a very different place than your own. We were told upon your arrival you will go into either shock or a honeymoon phase in which everything is wonderful then at about the half way point you experience homesickness and then the last month or so you will be indifferent to life in you given placement and will just coast through the last portion of the placement. Well to be honest Alicia and I have been enjoying the entirety of this placement and as for honeymoon phase well I think ours might just last to the end. However yesterday and today living in Asia has been beyond irritating! So I thought I would compile a list of some things that I find hilarious and sometimes push my buttons but of  course I know it has to do with cultural differences and let them go as quickly as possible!

1. The post office! One day Alicia waited 30 minutes to be seen and when she finally was she was told that the meter lady was on lunch break and there were no stamps. (Seriously?? No stamps at the post office? The lady in front of us just posted something with stamps!) So yesterday we went to send some mail home. The man weighed the post then we paid. We decided on waiting to watch the post get metered just to make sure. The lady noticed Alicia and I waiting and re weighed the post asking for more money. Alicia was like what? I just paid?? She said, "I will meter the cards but they will not get to Canada, ok?" Um no this is not ok... why in Gods name would you bother posting something and not know where it will end up??? Anyways trying the best we could to remain calm Alicia gave the extra money and we left...clearly cheated! Also I have been waiting on 2 packages from Canada which I am convinced are at the post office but the lady is too lazy to check! She just sits there texting or writing in her book and when I ask about my parcels she just cuts me off and says "no package today."

2. Yes, I am foreign, yes I work at the University, yes I have been here a while and NO it does not make  me a walking cheque book!! I do not have millions of Pesos to give you. Nor deserve to be charged triple the price for somethings. I have no problems giving a few extra pesos for a trike ride or a multi cab but 60 Pesos for a trike that should cost 7.... seriously?? Luckily this does not happen everyday and makes me laugh when it does.

3. Speed of life in Canada 100km an hour! Speed of life in the Philippines about 5Km/hour on a good day!

4. I think its hilarious that market vendors will inform me what I am looking at. For example I pick up a watch then they will say,"Watch Maam" or pick up a belt, "Belt Maam", I am tempted to play name this item every time I go to the market.

5. I would like 1 jar of Cheeze Whiz, not 10 little packages! Everything is in little packages. Shampoo, coffee, creams, you name it it will come in multiple packages inside another package then packaged one more time for good measure. Great for travel but they are purchased for everyday use?

6. I would like real Peso's instead of candy as change please. No one ever has change here... not even in the grocery store. I once received 3 candies and a chocolate bar instead of 8 peso change. hahaha

7. I do not want rice 3 times a day and this does not mean I am on a diet.

A very safe scaffolding set up. Can you imagine this at home?
All in all if these are my biggest complaints I really can't complain but I thought I would share and you could have a laugh or two at the strange things I go through daily. Keep lovin life :)

1 comment:

  1. bahaha. You just might be the most positive person I know, Jen :)

    ReplyDelete