Thursday, January 13, 2011

Christmas Celebrations aka Rooftop Extravaganza

Alicia, Nancy, Noah and I about to enjoy a Christmas feast!
As far as Christmas's and New Years away from family and friends can go, this one ROCKED! Filipino's adore Christmas and celebrate at midnight Christmas eve rather than Christmas morning like us westerners. The streets were absolutely buzzing with excitement Christmas Eve, the kids were bonkers! At midnight the place went insane!!! Music, karaoke and fireworks could be seen and heard on every street corner. The experience made me believe 'Silver Bells' are lame, fireworks and bangers is where it is at!! (Ok lame joke!) Anyways Alicia and I had bought small gifts for our friends Peter and Lynn (other long term guests at the Pension house) and seeing as Lynn is Filipino we decided to stick to her tradition and exchange gifts at midnight. Peter made these really neat lamps for Alicia and I and we gave them a few neat China items.

We started Christmas morning with Hot Coco and Candy Canes (Thank-you Alicia's mom for the Canadian Christmas package!) then on to gift exchanging and of course a few glasses of champagne and orange juice! Our 'long term' pension house guest friends, Noah, Peter, Lynn and Reese joined in our celebrations and the ladies and I informed them all about Christmas in Canada. We even made fake snow and tried to make mini snowmen but failed due to the gelatin nature of the 'fake' snow! Alicia and Nancy made short bread cookies and a giant cheese ball and I was in charge of Christmas dinner. I found the majority of the fixings here but lacked that delicious Christmas turkey and gravy!! After dinner and many laughs we had the most hilarious game of Asshole (a funny card game) and made up funny rules that had to be followed throughout the game. Lets just say speaking in the third person is difficult after a few beverages and I somehow was named 'snack master'.

We spent the days between Christmas and New Years showing Nancy around the city and attending a couple of school functions. The president of the university Alicia and I work for retired so there was a huge party in which 2 pigs and a cow were donated for food and the students put off the entertainment. It was a fun event and everyone was still in the Christmas spirit!

New Years Eve we decided on hanging out with the other guests and watching the fireworks from the rooftop of our Pension house. It was splendid! We all danced and sang the majority of the night away. We decided at around 2 am that we must go to a bar! After hiring a tricycle and commuting all over the city looking for a bar we came to the realization that they were all closed so we just returned to the pension house for more singing and dancing.

To sum up, I definitely missed my family and friends this Christmas!!! However it was so nice to have people here to celebrate and enjoy the holiday season with...even if it is in 30 degree temperatures!

No comments:

Post a Comment